Title and contents page

I also did the title and the contents pages of the book as well whilst working on the front and back cover.

These will be the first two pages before the recipes start. I will show the whole layout when I do a mock print up of the whole book, which I will use as a guideline for the printers.

Again I have kept with with the same choice of colours as I think they work really well together, and give the book more cohesion.


Front and back cover

To take a break from the illustrated scenes, I began to work on the front and back covers. To start, I replicated the food illustration print 4 times to cover the whole of the page, leaving a gap in the centre for the spine. I then blurred out some spaces for the text I will be adding.

I added in the title and the by line.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 18.12.59

I then added in the text on the back cover, and also added in the text that will go down the spine of the book.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 18.31.11

I decided I didn’t like the text very much, so I changed the colours of the front cover text, using colours that i have use in the individual ingredients to match the text with the imagery, like I did on the recipe pages.

I also changed the back text, as I wanted to have more room to put an image on the back. This is also the text I have used throughout the book, so I thought it would tie the whole book together nicely.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 18.18.29

I then added in the yellow strip for the spine of the book, to break up the covers. Again, I have taken the colour from the ingredients on the page.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.32.21

I still have to decide on the imagery I want to include on the front and back covers, which will most likely be polaroids, maybe some food, and some of the care home I work at, I am yet to decide. Possibly a team staff photo?

Food illustration print

I have also been working on a print which I plan to use as part of my exhibition piece, and also possibly for my front and back cover design.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 18.12.50

The design consists of all of the individual ingredients. I though this might be a nice design for coasters or tea towels as well which I have looked into using! But for the moment I am using the design as a focus for a print and the front and back cover.

My scenes so far

So far, I have 4 of the scenes completed and ready to go with the recipes. When I have done all of the scenes, I will pair them up with the recipes to show, and will also work on creating a hard copy of the book, to take to the printers.

I am really happy with how the scenes have turned out so far, and will continue to use this method whilst doing my other recipe scenes.

Working on my recipe scenes

I have started to work on my recipe scenes, so I have decided to show the processes towards creating the recipe scenes, so you can see how I create each of the scenes.

I started off by taking the polaroid image that I wanted to use as part of the scene. I made the scenes black and white in order to give them an older look. I will also be using each of the polaroids I have taken in an image for my final show, which is coming up.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 20.16.30

Next, using the polaroid, I began to do some rough pencil drawings around the photograph, to complete the rest of the scene as so.


I then added colour to the image.


After adding the colour, I did the black outline. My reason for using black outline in my imagery as opposed to block colour, is because it defines the image a bit more, and allows me to add in extra details. Plus I like the way it comes out.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 20.15.27

I then scanned the image into photoshop, and added in the polaroid. I added text onto the polaroid and text explaining the inspiration for the scene and recipe, adding in the quotes that I got from the residents I take care of.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 20.26.08


Final recipes

After working on the rest of my recipes, I have finally got all 18 recipes ready to show. I have used a 6 colour scheme, to break up the pages, which I will repeat. Each of the recipes are in order of how they will go in the cook book as I have tried to strategically place the meals in a way that breaks up the styles.

The first 6 include starter dishes and main meal dishes.

The second row is in the same colour scheme, but the recipes are different. The next 6 are all main meals.

The final 6 are all desserts.

Now I have finished the recipes, I will continue the narrative side of the recipes, like I did with the chip shop image. This is the part that I think I will be able to really put my personal link in.